How to identify mould and moss? How to get rid of mould and moss?
They might grow in similar environments, but moss and mould are two fundamentally different types of lifeforms. Mould is a fungus that is distantly related to the mushroom while moss is a simple plant. Fungi belong to a special group of living organisms with shared characteristics from both plants and animals.
Unlike mould, moss requires light to grow which means that moss cannot grow in dark places. Both are an all-year problem, but they become more prevalent indoors during winter when ventilation is limited because of the cold temperatures outside.
Moss and mould grow on damp organic materials such as furniture, ceilings and fabrics causing them to decay. In addition to causing serious damage, moss and mould can also degrade your property’s aesthetic when they grow on it.
Mould has also been found to be a health hazard as breathing air contaminated with its spores can trigger allergic reactions for some people. Individuals experiencing an allergic reaction to mould will exhibit symptoms that include wheezing, stuffy nose, shortness of breath; and skin, eye and throat irritations. (Source: cdc.gov)
How to identify a mould or moss problem
Detecting a moss or mould problem is pretty easy, something you can rely on your senses for. One of the easiest sign to spot is either of the two growing on damp organic surfaces and materials in your home. You’ll also notice a musty odour where mould or moss grows.
Another tell-tale sign of a mould or moss problem are watermarks on your ceiling and walls.
Similar to any other problem, the best way to control a mould or moss problem is to ensure that it doesn’t happen in the first place. There are several things you can do to keep your home or office mould and moss free. They include:
Drying all wet materials before storage. Provided the right conditions, mould and moss will grow in a few days. Avoid storing wet items indoors. Items used occasionally such as winter clothes and camping gear should be dried thoroughly before storage.
Installing adequate ventilation. Exhaust fans should be used for your kitchen, bathroom and clothes dryer to extrude extra humidity.
Fixing leaky plumbing, walls and roofs to keep out moisture.
Increasing the flow of air inside the house. Place your furniture a few inches away from walls and leave closet doors open for increased air circulation. Also, ensure that confined spaces such as attics and basements are well ventilated.
Using an air conditioner or dehumidifier to maintain humidity levels below 50%.
How to get rid of mould and moss
For properties already colonised by moss and mould, using professional mould and moss control products can help get rid of them easily and safely. Our mould and moss control solutions include:
The Spray and Go TURBO Application
This is an easy to use spray that takes the hassle out of mould and moss control. All you are required to do with this product is to attach your regular garden hose. Once that is done, spray the affected area and let the weather take care of the rest; that easy. The formulation will get rid of mould and moss in the affected area and keep it protected for at least a year. It’s effective and safe for humans and pets.